Yesterday I wad trying to figure out why Forefront Security had stopped updating the engines automatically. Manually updating the engines worked fine, but having to log in to the server each and every day to manually update the engines is unacceptable.
So after googling I found out that it might have something to do with the task scheduler in Windows. And after checking the scheduled tasks, I found out that none of them had run since March.
The log file said ”The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed; therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account information existed for the task.” with a specific error of 0x8007000d. Wierd. I found a page that suggested restarting the server, which didn’t solve my problems.
I finally found a solution! It appears that it had something to do with the Volume Shadow Copy service and that I had demoted the server a couple of weeks ago (probably at the same time the scheduled jobs stopped working.
Now everything runs as expected.